Sign in to follow this  
rcbuff

Walmart Receipt Checking Policy

Recently, as I was leaving the Walmart on North Broadway I was stopped and asked for my receipt and expected to submit my cart of purchases for pilfering.  Not being the submissive type, it didn't go well.  In the future I will simply ignore the request and proceed to my vehicle. 

Rumor has it this is something new after Walmart decided to phase out their greeters...

I myself have not submitted to a cart inspection on a few occasions, I figure if they suspect me of stealing something they can either detain me (which is about the same as accusing me of stealing IMO) at which point I can address their improper detention and not finding any reason for doing so civilly - or they can try to ban me from the store at which point I bring up my grievance with corporate.

If Walmart was the only store in town I may be inclined to bow to the will of the Walmart police - but they aren't...

I know the concept of "the customer is always right" becoming a lesser known commodity for many businesses now days but when it becomes standard procedure for any store to treat their customers as suspected criminals without anything to lead someone so suspect any criminality on the part of that customer - that's when I start looking for a different store.

I didn't submit to their new policy, knowing  that once I tender payment, everything in my cart including the receipt is mine. However the policy  and what I perceived as an attempted  illegal search, prompted me to insist on a complete refund on the contents of the cart and the matching refund receipt to present to the "receipt-haus" at the door. 

Walmart is an "open to the public" retailer, its customers are not contractually obligated to submit to a search at the door as are membership type retailers.  If I understand correctly, even membership contracts can't be enforced in this regard however, memberships can be terminated. 

Retailers in some states can use a common law AKA shopkeepers privilege if a customer is suspected of shoplifting, providing certain observations were witnessed.  I realize that submitting would have facilitated  a more expedient exit but once in a while, it's interesting to point out the difference between submitting to policy and standing ones legal ground.  

I forgot to look at the signage in the service desk/ "returns" area but there was once a sign  with another policy written on it.  (Paraphrasing) " Satisfaction guaranteed". Believe me, I found nothing "satisfying" about being accosted at the door.

I haven't been to Sam's in over 2-3 years but it seems like that  was automatically done on everyone leaving their store.  Not only would you have to stand in line at checkout but once checked out and left to go then you got in another line for them to check your receipt with what you had in your cart.  I never thought to much about it cause they would check everyone but what comes to my mind also not necessarily checking you for stealing but also there employees at checkout making sure they got everything or  not charging certain things to friends or family.  

I know I have been back in electronics and certain things have a deal that they need to remove after purchase or it will ring the bell as you leave the store thru the double doors.  I had it happen a long time ago but I just kept going and no one ask me to stop of which I would of.  I had my receipt. I thought  if they are too busy to chase me down then I am too busy to stop and go back in to get it removed. 

Seems like pennys had those protector put on clothing that would ring a bell if you left store.... don't know if they still do or not. 

Also back to Walmart I once talked to this girl that is banned from there and this incident happened many years ago but she said she could go into walmart and come out with about anything she wanted.  She would even haul out new tires.  She would get one of those flat carts and put 4 tires on the cart and push it right out the front door without any problems.... also  TV's and other big ticket items.  She finally got caught and is banned forever.  She claimed right after getting banned she found the Lord and doesn't do anything like that anymore. 

Edited by atoz

38 minutes ago, atoz said:

I haven't been to Sam's in over 2-3 years but it seems like that  was automatically done on everyone leaving their store.  Not only would you have to stand in line at checkout but once checked out and left to go then you got in another line for them to check your receipt with what you had in your cart.  I never thought to much about it cause they would check everyone but what comes to my mind also not necessarily checking you for stealing but also there employees at checkout making sure they got everything or  not charging certain things to friends or family.  

I know I have been back in electronics and certain things have a deal that they need to remove after purchase or it will ring the bell as you leave the store thru the double doors.  I had it happen a long time ago but I just kept going and no one ask me to stop of which I would of.  I had my receipt. I thought  if they are too busy to chase me down then I am too busy to stop and go back in to get it removed. 

Seems like pennys had those protector put on clothing that would ring a bell if you left store.... don't know if they still do or not. 

Also back to Walmart I once talked to this girl that is banned from there and this incident happened many years ago but she said she could go into walmart and come out with about anything she wanted.  She would even haul out new tires.  She would get one of those flat carts and put 4 tires on the cart and push it right out the front door without any problems.... also  TV's and other big ticket items.  She finally got caught and is banned forever.  She claimed right after getting banned she found the Lord and doesn't do anything like that anymore. 

Sams club is a membership club retailer.  Signing on as a member you agree to the receipt check, in that case I would have no problem stopping.  Walmart on the other hand seems to  be  pushing its intimidation  policy for those that willingly submit, which is not against the law.  

If Walmart has an employee theft or accomplice problem,  I consider that an internal problem and one that should be resolved accordingly, without the participation of its  honest customers.  

There are cameras everywhere in the store even at eye level as you enter the building and over the check-outs.  Perhaps they should  post a security person at the bagging area to confirm or refute what the video indicates  and maybe that person could be useful in bagging and placing bags into  the shopping cart for their customers.

I have shopped at the same store 3 times since my unpleasant experience but have yet to encounter a receipt-haus or greeter. 

From what I've heard, apparently the stop and check is mostly random but I suspect random in the same sense as random TSA checks at the airports...

TSA uses their "random" enhanced checks to hide their profiling of passengers they tend to think as more suspicious because if only those who someone thought may be needing closer scrutiny were checked no doubt someone would accuse the agency of profiling and as we've been told time and again "Profiling is wrong"... 

It may be fairly effective depending on who offers their opinion - but supposedly it's still wrong.

2 cents.jpg

I wouldn't have a single issue with someone from  AP (asset protection) handling every item as it is bagged and even reviewing my receipt at the checkout stand, but being stopped at the door as if I'm attempting to leave with items I haven't paid for presents a less palatable visual effect and perception. 

This store probably has annual shrinkage losses in the 1.5 million dollar range. Some of that is due to employee  theft, claims for damaged goods, clerical errors,  vendor fraud and topping the list is shoplifting. 

I can sympathize with retail shrinkage losses in the billions of dollars annually, but my sympathy ends when it comes to the tactics I've been complaining about.   

It's bad enough that you have to do the self-checkout but then they pretty much accuse you of stealing from them as you go out the door.  If they don't trust the general public any more than that, hire more checkers and do away with the self-service lanes. 

1 hour ago, Kansan said:

It's bad enough that you have to do the self-checkout but then they pretty much accuse you of stealing from them as you go out the door.  If they don't trust the general public any more than that, hire more checkers and do away with the self-service lanes. 

I use the self- checkout when it's  the most expedient , most often when I only have a few items and none of the items( aerosol cans, duct tape, super glue and the like) that   require the approval of the attending clerk. Self-checkout is  too clumsy when I have a cart full of items as was  the case recently when the receipt- haus wanted to pilfer through my stuff.  

Like you Kansan, if they trust me to save them money by using my labor for  a task that traditionally they pay to have done, it seems that trust should extend all of the way  to the trunk of my car.  Ordinarily I would  simply never return to a store that had insulted me as I left the premises, but this time  (for now) I am standing my ground against bad policy and turning the table on them legally by asking them to produce  evidence of "probable cause"

I don't do self checkout.  I don't work there.  I've never been stopped at the door.  I wonder if there may be a connection?

par for the course where ever there are self checkouts .

gonna faint though hutch and I agree Im not using self check out I dont work there .

If they want to check the receipt fine  do so while giving me back my money and keep your products at the service desk.  if people start doing that the policy will go away fast

I was just  thinking some benefit may arise from this experience. 

The young man that accosted me and possibly his future replacements, might come to better understand insulting behaviors, rather than consider them acceptable or some new normal.

Although  the checkout line resembles  a cattle chute in use, the line at an actual cattle chute is full of creatures with a less complex social order.   The checkout line and it's exit chute on the other hand, is  mostly full of beings  with a highly developed social order, where perceptions of propriety and impropriety matter. Walmart might think a little more along  those lines as  they adopt policies.    

6 hours ago, DonF said:

If they want to check the receipt fine  do so while giving me back my money and keep your products at the service desk.  if people start doing that the policy will go away fast

LOL, believe me, they act on the frozen goods lickety-split! 1098119744_guylaughing.jpg.cf9858e21f41f001da088384d2d76473.jpg

On 5/29/2019 at 12:38 PM, DonF said:

gonna faint though hutch and I agree Im not using self check out I dont work there .

Funny.  I used to agree with you a lot for about 8 years.  It was Don I used to disagree with.  Except for the lengthy  lectures, you and Don have switched tactics IMO.  It's not so much opinions but the method of addressing or presenting them.

I know this doesn't go here so feel free to move it.

At one time AtoZ used to quote CNN, now he quotes FOX.

I used to support Obama because he was the president, now I support Trump (support may be the wrong word.  I may mean disagree with postings)

DonF used to hate these kind of memes, but now posts them.

It's like the two sides reversed  their actions or quality of posting......

1058135917_aznow.PNG.b0d4f0af44033a538aeab757c6ef6be3.PNG194602211_menow.PNG.723ff5dc1fd399accbf8a47f0004021d.PNG352711609_uhatenow.PNG.6ef790c4a83df2cd31581c7afdf5b102.PNG

Edited by Hutch

My wife likes self check out because for her it is more expedient, for myself I prefer to use the manned check out to support local employees, not that I figure either will ultimately do a lot of good, Walmart's going to do what Walmart's going to do regardless of what customers say I suppose but to each their own.

It just shows how diverse individual preferences and opinion can be and how regardless of how some act there is room and reason for everyone to have their own preferences without someone trying to point their finger and claim someone else is wrong, or some of the more hateful accusations... and it is not only common but acceptable for people to change their thoughts, beliefs and behaviors depending on the situation and stimulus they are currently subjected to. That used to be (and still is in my opinion) not only acceptable but healthy for an evolving society and personal perspectives.

2 cents.jpg

Just now, Hutch said:

And Don still gives lectures but this one wasn't quite as long.

One thing that does seem to be fairly consistent around here is when someone simply expresses their own opinion or their personal perspective there often seems to be someone waiting in the wings to ridicule the poster or try to find fault or with the subject matter.

Calling someone down for "lecturing" when just continuing the conversation about Walmart self checking or trying to say everyone should be allowed to have and feel free to express their own opinion on things and for that matter to change their opinions if they feel the need to do so seems a bit harsh... but then perhaps that's just my perspective.

8 hours ago, Don said:

My wife likes self check out because for her it is more expedient, for myself I prefer to use the manned check out to support local employees, not that I figure either will ultimately do a lot of good, Walmart's going to do what Walmart's going to do regardless of what customers say I suppose but to each their own.

It just shows how diverse individual preferences and opinion can be and how regardless of how some act there is room and reason for everyone to have their own preferences without someone trying to point their finger and claim someone else is wrong, or some of the more hateful accusations... and it is not only common but acceptable for people to change their thoughts, beliefs and behaviors depending on the situation and stimulus they are currently subjected to. That used to be (and still is in my opinion) not only acceptable but healthy for an evolving society and personal perspectives.

2 cents.jpg

Maybe it makes me a little differentO.o in the eyes of some folks but  this is exactly the conversation I like to provoke In "general discussion" threads.   I'm certain  no one has noticed 9_9 but some of my ideas are a little "out there"....  and reading the personal experiences and preferences of others and having anecdotal information to ponder is food for thought.   There's an outside chance that someone else could influence my thinking. ( well it could happen?? maybe) The political threads are  different animal though.  

Something strange happened earlier in this thread,  WE ALL FOUND SOME COMMON GROUND! Even Kansan was kind enough to join the conversation. I hadn't heard from him in a while. Thanks Kansan!

A post chalked full of... idiosyncrasies huh? 

continuing the conversation about Walmart self checking:

Quote Don:  "My wife likes self check out because for her it is more expedient, for myself I prefer to use the manned check out to support local employees, not that I figure either will ultimately do a lot of good, Walmart's going to do what Walmart's going to do regardless of what customers say I suppose but to each their own."  :end quote

lecture: 

Quote Don: " It just shows how diverse individual preferences and opinion can be and how regardless of how some act there is room and reason for everyone to have their own preferences without someone trying to point their finger and claim someone else is wrong, or some of the more hateful accusations... and it is not only common but acceptable for people to change their thoughts, beliefs and behaviors depending on the situation and stimulus they are currently subjected to. That used to be (and still is in my opinion) not only acceptable but healthy for an evolving society and personal perspectives."  :end quote

Quote Don:  "One thing that does seem to be fairly consistent around here is when someone simply expresses their own opinion or their personal perspective there often seems to be someone waiting in the wings to ridicule the poster or try to find fault or with the subject matter."  :end quote

Harsh response (presented as a lecture):  

Of course.  That statement can easily be verified by checking the threads you have started and posts you have made.  One thing that does seem fairly consistent is that often there is no responses at all.  That would seem to disprove your statement about “there often seems to be someone waiting in the wings to ridicule the poster .”  But that would also depend on YOUR definition of “often”.

Of course I have already mentioned that I haven't been stopped and had my receipt checked.  I will continue the conversation about Walmart self checking.  I can't take credit for "I don't work here"  or "my part to save jobs", but I don't feel that way.

Once, while standing in line, an employee tried to talk me into using self check out.  I told her no, I don't use those.  She countered with offering to help me.  Of course I told her no thank you but still wondered why they pay employees to help someone at self check out, or watch people self check out, when they could be using them as cashiers? 

BTW, how does buying an item that needs the security tag removed work at self checkout?

On 5/31/2019 at 7:03 AM, Hutch said:

Of course I have already mentioned that I haven't been stopped and had my receipt checked.  I will continue the conversation about Walmart self checking.  I can't take credit for "I don't work here"  or "my part to save jobs", but I don't feel that way.

Once, while standing in line, an employee tried to talk me into using self check out.  I told her no, I don't use those.  She countered with offering to help me.  Of course I told her no thank you but still wondered why they pay employees to help someone at self check out, or watch people self check out, when they could be using them as cashiers? 

BTW, how does buying an item that needs the security tag removed work at self checkout?

I attempt to make my trips to Walmart as short as possible. As I mentioned before, when I only have a few items and none that require the attendant's assistance,  using the self-checkout is a speedy option to standing in line at manned registers.  

I once purchased some insulated coveralls at the self-checkout not realizing that it had a security tag. The attendant, with the help of another employee removed the tag. That purchase wasn't so expedient  but still was't too bad. 

At our Walmart I've been noticing either more people using self checkout allowing the store to have fewer manned lanes open which usually leads to longer lines in both areas - or our store having fewer manned lanes open pretty much encouraging customers to use the self checkout option more frequently...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the expediency and convenience I have when using self check out and I'm admitting something like this is probably the way of future businesses, but I also recognize the more self checkout lanes customers use that's one (or more) people the stores don't have to employ which consequently (IMO) negatively impacts the local economy, particularly one the size of Pittsburg where jobs tend to be scarce to begin with and every lost job means some family (and the local economy) has to do with less until and unless circumstances change.

My wife often uses the online ordering system for groceries. On a few occasions I have gone with her to the south Walmart (Neighborhood Market) to do the pickup.  According to what I have been told, the north store will soon be offering the same service.  That change along with customer online merchandise pickup  caused the "money center" to move and  displace even more manned registers.

It almost seems like we are being herded toward  self-checkout and consequently conditioned to expect a receipt-haus . 977830392_receipthaus.JPG.6522eb29155eb6ffe74694512f463b44.JPGencounter.

Yesterday around noon, I was at the Neighborhood Market.  There were lines at the self checkout.  I was third inline at the manned check out when they called me over and opened the other lane.

1 hour ago, Hutch said:

Yesterday around noon, I was at the Neighborhood Market.  There were lines at the self checkout.  I was third inline at the manned check out when they called me over and opened the other lane.

As good customer service would dictate IMO.!

In comparison: I purchase our meat products at Ron's. On several occasions, if there are lines, even short ones at the open registers, an observant employee has motioned me toward a closed one and opened it for me.