Sign in to follow this  
rcbuff

Walmart Receipt Checking Policy

Ok it finely came to me.  I was walking out of the big walmart yesterday afternoon and some young guy mumbled something to me on my way out.  I stopped and said "what?"  He then asked "can I see your receipt real quick?".  I said "No" and he said "okay".  I walked on out.

It sounds as if you had a brief and cordial encounter.  

My experience was a little different.  The guy "needed" to see my receipt an upon giving it to him almost without breaking pace , he then "needed" to check my items.  Now, he may not have considered himself a stranger or his actions insulting but I did.  He may have thought that his "needs" were important  but I didn't.  

Old post, but I'm just now seeing this. I encountered this just this past week at the 7th Street Wal-Mart in Joplin. I had one small item, receipt wrapped around it as I was walking out and lady at the door asked to see the item and my receipt. I said no thanks and walked out. They can ask, but my answer will always be no thanks as I walk out. 

13 hours ago, JHackerX said:

Old post, but I'm just now seeing this. I encountered this just this past week at the 7th Street Wal-Mart in Joplin. I had one small item, receipt wrapped around it as I was walking out and lady at the door asked to see the item and my receipt. I said no thanks and walked out. They can ask, but my answer will always be no thanks as I walk out. 

Hutch had a similar encounter and reply. I'll likely respond similarly in the future.

A little off topic but has anyone encountered a new "check out 'option' "?  Not so long ago, I had both hands full of items as I approached the checkout area. A young lady approached me and asked if I would like for her to check out the items, then motioned me toward the manned checkouts. She stopped a couple of registers beyond the self checkout area, reached for one of my items scanned it and set the item on top of a stack of products near the checkout entrance,   then proceed to scan the remainder of my items. She also had a stack of plastic bags at hand that she used to bag my items, scanned my debit card and completed the transaction.  Other than being awkward, the transaction went pretty smooth. In retrospect, it seems that using one of the available belted checkout lanes would have been handier .

Walmart's closed down a lot of check out lanes (a lot of checkers out of work) as Walmart tries to save money by switching to automation and other cost cutting methods.

That's what they call "progress" I suppose but I can't say I'm totally happy with it, for more than just a few people checkers and greeters being out of a job.

For the most part the product prices at Walmart haven't gone down significantly (and in some cases have actually gone up a little) but I'm guessing their cost related to employees have gone down a bit...

I absolutely understand workers wanting to get paid more for the work they do but using Walmart as a prime example the hike in employee wages comes at a cost, usually higher prices for the consumer and/or a company hiring and retaining fewer employees.

Companies are greedy not argument there, every successful business is "profit driven" or they are history.

it is(s).jpg

Yahoo Finance:

Walmart's hourly wages for employees 'will go beyond [$15] probably over time': CEO Doug McMillon

Walmart (WMT) and many other large retailers have embraced the reality that hourly wages for its employees are likely to be on a sustained uptrend.

The reason for that reality — which could crimp profits if retailers aren’t looking for cost savings throughout their businesses — is simple.

Retail workers are in increasingly short supply as many opt for gig economy jobs at the likes of Uber (UBER) and Lyft (LYFT). Who wants to work in a sweat-inducing Amazon (AMZN) warehouse in the summer? And secondarily, workers inside stores are doing more tasks than ever before — from picking items off shelves to service online orders to checking people out in the middle of an aisle with a handheld device.

It’s a tireless gig nowadays.

“Oh, it'll go beyond that probably over time,” Walmart CEO Doug McMillon told Yahoo Finance when asked if a $15 an hour minimum wage was the new normal in retail.

One of the first things McMillon — who started working n a Walmart warehouse as a teenager — did when he took over as CEO in 2014 was to study the impact of raising hourly wages for workers. By February 2015, Walmart made a decision to hike its minimum hourly wage to $10 an hour by 2016.

The company is now offering a starting wage of $11 an hour.

“Around the country this year, we've continued to take our starting wage rate up depending on the market,” McMillon said.

Others have since followed Walmart into the land of higher hourly wages.

Target (TGT) CEO Brian Cornell told Yahoo Finance earlier this year it would lift hourly wages to $15 an hour in 2020 from about $12 currently.

“$15 an hour makes us an employer of choice. While we have made a number of big investments in stores, technology, fulfillment and brands the most important investment we have made in the past couple of years was in our team,” Cornell said.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmarts-hourly-wages-for-employees-will-go-beyond-15-probably-over-time-ceo-doug-mc-millon-160008612.html

I talked to a walmart checker on the door and asked why the people getting checked.  She said the self checkers people are not checking some items and just putting them in their sacks.  That's why the spot check at the exit door.  I have never been checked yet a Pburg store but have seen others being check there.  

I really don't have a problem if they want to check me.  No big deal. I do imagine they would have some people try and do it.  If it was my company I wouldn't want people stealing from me.   #checkmewalmartnoworrieshere

2 minutes ago, atoz said:

I talked to a walmart checker on the door and asked why the people getting checked.  She said the self checkers people are not checking some items and just putting them in their sacks.  That's why the spot check at the exit door.  I have never been checked yet a Pburg store but have seen others being check there.  

I really don't have a problem if they want to check me.  No big deal. I do imagine they would have some people try and do it.  If it was my company I wouldn't want people stealing from me.   #checkmewalmartnoworrieshere

Kind of makes sense that Walmart would be concerned about shoppers attempting to steal items when using the self check out feature...

Of course that being said Walmart made the choice to hire fewer checkers and install the self check out kiosks in the first place so either someone in corporate didn't consider some would be less than honest using self checkout - or they initially didn't care and now it's the customers being inconvenienced for that decision, 

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the person checking receipts stationed at the exit to the self check out area instead of the store exit?

Something like that would serve several purposes, the first being letting shoppers using self checkout know their purchases could be checked against their receipt and maybe make them less tempted to cheat. The second is it would not slow shoppers (particularly those who went through a human checker) from being on their way out of the store.