Sign in to follow this  
Don

This Is What Doing Something Wrong Looks Like

MSN/NY Times:

He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah C***** set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah C***** took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt C***** stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. C***** said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.

The next day, Amazon pulled his items and thousands of other listings for sanitizer, wipes and face masks. The company suspended some of the sellers behind the listings and warned many others that if they kept running up prices, they’d lose their accounts. EBay soon followed with even stricter measures, prohibiting any U.S. sales of masks or sanitizer.

Now, while millions of people across the country search in vain for hand sanitizer to protect themselves from the spread of the coronavirus, Mr. C***** is sitting on 17,700 bottles of the stuff with little idea where to sell them.

“It’s been a huge amount of whiplash,” he said. “From being in a situation where what I’ve got coming and going could potentially put my family in a really good place financially to ‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he-has-17700-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer-and-nowhere-to-sell-them

KARMA.jpg

Mahatma-Ghandi-Quote-Need-vs-Greed.jpeg

8 hours ago, Don said:

MSN/NY Times:

He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah C***** set out in a silver S.U.V. to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tenn., they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah C***** took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt C***** stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Mr. C***** said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.

The next day, Amazon pulled his items and thousands of other listings for sanitizer, wipes and face masks. The company suspended some of the sellers behind the listings and warned many others that if they kept running up prices, they’d lose their accounts. EBay soon followed with even stricter measures, prohibiting any U.S. sales of masks or sanitizer.

Now, while millions of people across the country search in vain for hand sanitizer to protect themselves from the spread of the coronavirus, Mr. C***** is sitting on 17,700 bottles of the stuff with little idea where to sell them.

“It’s been a huge amount of whiplash,” he said. “From being in a situation where what I’ve got coming and going could potentially put my family in a really good place financially to ‘What the heck am I going to do with all of this?’”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he-has-17700-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer-and-nowhere-to-sell-them

KARMA.jpg

Mahatma-Ghandi-Quote-Need-vs-Greed.jpeg

First let me say, Karma can be a mean hussy.  I had hoped to find a package of disinfecting towelettes to use when using my cards, but that proved to be lost cause.

I don't have any sympathy for the brothers. I would think that these two enterprising people will have little problem selling their goods at a fair price in metropolitan areas near them. The ROI won't what they had expected but they should quit whining and hit the road in that U-Haul. 

1 hour ago, rcbuff said:

The Hussy AKA Karma has served up a hot dish to the hustler.

A Tennessee man who became a subject of national scorn after stockpiling 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer donated all of the supplies on Sunday just as the Tennessee attorney general’s office began investigating him for price gouging.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/technology/matt-colvin-hand-sanitizer-donation.html

KARMA.jpg

St Louis Post Dispatch:

Man charged after police say he licked items at Warrenton Walmart to mock virus fears

WARRENTON — A 26-year-old man was identified in court documents Tuesday as the person who police say posted a video online of himself licking items in a Warrenton Walmart earlier this month.

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/coronavirus/man-charged-after-police-say-he-licked-items-at-warrenton

And although this probably belongs in another thread...

NBC:

Coronavirus crimes can be charged as acts of terrorism, Justice Department says

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has notified the nation's federal prosecutors that anyone threatening or attempting to spread the coronavirus can be charged with terrorism.

Coronavirus appears to meet the statutory definition of a biological agent, Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen said in a memo sent late Tuesday to U.S. attorneys and federal law enforcement agencies and could bring crimes related to it under terrorism statutes.

"Threats or attempts to use COVID-19 as a weapon against Americans will not be tolerated," the memo says.

New Jersey has already invoked its own version of the laws by charging a man with making a terroristic threat by coughing on a supermarket employee and claiming he was infected with the virus. Authorities in Illinois, Missouri, and Pennsylvania reported similar offenses.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/justice-department-says-coronavirus-crimes-can-be-charged-acts-terrorism

I hope a Judge finds that a lesson in "social distancing" is in order, maybe 15- 30 days for starters, or something with some continuity, like a release date designated by a national milestone in recovering from the pandemic.  That might encourage this idiot to cheer for every little gain.

It's not that I object to enjoying some levity in times like these but careless stupidity like this is over the top, when there is no pandemic.

On 3/25/2020 at 5:17 PM, Don said:

St Louis Post Dispatch:

Man charged after police say he licked items at Warrenton Walmart to mock virus fears

WARRENTON — A 26-year-old man was identified in court documents Tuesday as the person who police say posted a video online of himself licking items in a Warrenton Walmart earlier this month.

https://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/coronavirus/man-charged-after-police-say-he-licked-items-at-warrenton

And although this probably belongs in another thread...

NBC:

Coronavirus crimes can be charged as acts of terrorism, Justice Department says

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has notified the nation's federal prosecutors that anyone threatening or attempting to spread the coronavirus can be charged with terrorism.

Coronavirus appears to meet the statutory definition of a biological agent, Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen said in a memo sent late Tuesday to U.S. attorneys and federal law enforcement agencies and could bring crimes related to it under terrorism statutes.

"Threats or attempts to use COVID-19 as a weapon against Americans will not be tolerated," the memo says.

New Jersey has already invoked its own version of the laws by charging a man with making a terroristic threat by coughing on a supermarket employee and claiming he was infected with the virus. Authorities in Illinois, Missouri, and Pennsylvania reported similar offenses.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/justice-department-says-coronavirus-crimes-can-be-charged-acts-terrorism

And now we know the defense strategy.  I highlighted in bold text

NBC news could not immediately reach Pfister's attorney for comment. The lawyer, Patrick J. Coyne, told the Post-Dispatch that the video was recorded the day before the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic and that "public conduct that was immature on March 10 looks completely differently through the lens of today."

"Everything has changed at warp speed, but that should not work retroactively and convert a tasteless and impulsive act into a criminal terrorist threat," the newspaper quoted Coyne as saying.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/missouri-man-arrested-licking-items-203425461.html

Regardless of the timeline, his intent seems pretty clear to me by his declaration of "Who's scared of the Coronavirus" before licking the products on the shelf.

If his intent was to give himself possible exposure he could lick something like a public park bench seat, the sidewalk or something (although I'm not sure that would have been any better) but to lick things he knew were relatively clean AND that he also knew other people would be handling, seems to me to indicate he was attempting to expose other people to his germs whether or not he had the virus.

The man's actions were not simply "Immature", it was irresponsible and an intentional violation of protocol for the public's health and safety... at least he seemed to believe that by licking the things on the store shelf he would not give himself and/or others the Coronavirus but even most grade school kids know one way to spread germs and disease, is from the bodily excretions from another person.

I remember a story about a town in Minnesota giving a man a fine for spitting on the sidewalk several years ago (yes, there are some places where spitting on the sidewalk is still illegal) because it was then, and possibly still is considered a public health hazard. Diseases that are spread through saliva include TB, hepatitis, viral meningitis, cytomegalovirus just to name a few so whether or not this man was attempting to show his own invulnerability or to possibly infect someone else is irrelevant. He intentionally placed his saliva on shelved products in a public place in thoughtless disregard to the public health and safety of others.

He should at least receive a fine, if not charged with making a terroristic threat under the new Coronavirus legal restrictions...

If someone makes a bomb with the intent to harm someone else it is a criminal act - whether or not it harms anyone -

Wipe your bodily secretions on something with the intent to harm someone else, it should be a criminal act - whether or not another person is infected -

2 cents.jpg

NJ.com

‘Knucklehead’ who coughed on Wegmans worker charged with terroristic threats, N.J. governor says

A Wegmans customer faces charges of terroristic threats and harassment after coughing on a worker at the grocery store chain’s Manalapan location and claiming he had the coronavirus, Gov. Phil Murphy said Tuesday.

The governor didn’t provide many details about the incident during his daily coronavirus briefing, other to say “it demonstrates active law enforcement” is ready to respond to people who violate orders put in place in reaction to the outbreak.

“There are knuckleheads out there. We see them and we are enforcing behavior," Murphy said during his briefing at Rutgers-Newark.

Hours later, authorities identified the man as George Falcone, 50, of Freehold. He was charged with terroristic threats, harassment and obstruction, they said.

Falcone was told by the employee he was standing too close to her and to an open display of prepared foods, according to the Office of the Attorney General. He then allegedly “stepped forward to within 3 feet of her, leaned toward her, and purposely coughed."

Falcone also allegedly laughed and said was infected with the coronavirus, authorities said, adding, “Falcone subsequently told two other employees they are lucky to have jobs.”

www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/knucklehead-who-coughed-on-wegmans-worker-charged-with-terroristic-threats-nj-governor-says