Sign in to follow this  
rcbuff

Gov. Kelly New COVID19 EOs

31 minutes ago, rcbuff said:

Sad news, there are a lot of Seniors that will miss out on many typical senior activities this year... 

At least someone is doing something proactive to try to stem the possible casualties associated with Covid-19.

Oh yeah and the nightmare for parents trying to find someone to watch their kids so they can continue to work... if they're still working.

54 minutes ago, Don said:

Oh yeah and the nightmare for parents trying to find someone to watch their kids so they can continue to work... if they're still working.

That may be a real chore. Typically grandparents might be able to fill that need but asymptomatic carriers pose a risk. 

I hope mass testing becomes available very soon. I know several people that have some or all of the symptoms and have had them for several days.  Most were down for two to three days   with a 2-3 degree fever and are now suffering with  nasal congestion, limited production coughing,  bronchial issues and  bursts of fever.  

It would be good to know if they just have some other respiratory issue or covid 19 

Way too much emphasis is being placed on "testing", I was speaking to someone the other day who was cussing president Trump because there weren't enough testing kits available to the public. She said "I wanted to be tested so I went to a clinic and they told me 'they didn't have kits available to test people without symptoms'... 

Smiley-Hmmm.png

I looked at her for a moment and asked: "Let me get this straight, you have no symptoms, but you wanted to take a testing kit away from someone who may actually have symptoms just to ease your mind?" - She got mad and stormed off for some reason.

Just a reminder here, it is not OK for anyone to self diagnose themselves or prescribe testing or treatment for themselves during a pandemic. If the doctor says you probably don't need it - you probably don't need it.

It should be known without being mentioned that Covid-19 or the Coronavirus is new. There weren't any tests available for general distribution it prior to the outbreak in China and certainly none were available prior to it's appearance here in the U.S and other countries, those who try (very hard) to point the "blame" finger at someone, particularly president Trump for not jumping ahead of an as yet unknown pathogen and the steps necessary to address it are, in my opinion just blowing smoke to attempt to obfuscate the facts.

"Speaking on "The Hugh Hewitt Show" on Tuesday, Fauci -- also the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases -- was asked about the slow rollout of test kits, saying the delay was due to a "technical glitch" that slowed things down and a series of "multiple things that conflated."

"There [weren’t] any bad guys there. It just happened," Fauci said. "And then when we realized, when the CDC realized, and the FDA [Food and Drug Administration] said both the system itself as it was set up, which serves certain circumstances very well, was not well-suited to the kind of broad testing that we needed the private sector to get involved in."

"Was the glitch or anything about the production of the test President Trump’s fault?" Hewitt asked. " Or actually, let me put it more broadly, would every president have run into the same problem?"

"Oh, absolutely. This has nothing to do with anybody’s fault, certainly not the president’s fault," Fauci replied.

Largely because China didn't restrict travel out of their country when the Wuhan Coronavirus hit and China didn't make it widely known to the rest of the world there was a problem to begin with this disease escalated very rapidly....

We're playing 'catch up' just like the rest of the world and those who have been hardest hit are those who didn't have (semi) secure borders, didn't put in place travel restrictions from countries with high infection rates and didn't take steps to advise the population to hunker down and limit exposure.

Covid-19 have clearly defined symptoms, unfortunately some are also associated with allergies, the flu and the common cold...

**BTW, some people tend to look at you funny and walk away quickly if you cough in public... if only I had known before it was this easy to get some space when standing in line at the check out. :71_smiling_imp:

My thoughts is someone should be first tested or evaluated for those other ailments and finding those results negative, then tested for Covid-19.

A perfect example would be the recently reported case of Heidi Klum who said she felt "like a chill","feverish, with a cough and a runny nose but couldn't get tested for the Coronavirus". Laudably Klum decided to self quarantine (we should expect to hear that term a lot more often going forward), that was March 13th. On March 15th, two days later, USA Today reported Klum did receive a Covid-19 test for her and her husband and the both tested negative for the Coronavirus, usually with a 24 to 48 hour turnaround for the test results.

Celebrity status has it's privileges it appears.

The lady  without symptoms that you referred to and wanted to be tested, clearly hadn't considered how selfish her position was. 

Objectively,  IMO, until we can eliminate as many as possible asymptomatic people (by isolation)    , all of the self quarantine we can muster(without requiring everyone be in quarantine) will only delay some portions of the population from contracting the virus. That may provide some additional time to produce tests in mass quantities and regulate the bed space available in hospitals.    Although it would be nice to know if one has the virus or is contagious at the time of testing but that is a very narrow time frame from which to draw conclusions.   

Interesting reading and modeling

Researchers from Imperial have analysed the likely impact of multiple public health measures on slowing and suppressing the spread of coronavirus.

The latest analysis comes from a team modelling the spread and impact COVID-19 and whose data are informing current UK government policy on the pandemic.

The findings are published in the 9th report from the WHO Collaborating Centre for Infectious Disease Modelling within the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis, J-IDEA, Imperial College London.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/covid19-imperial-researchers-model-likely-impact/

Combining multiple measures

In the current absence of vaccines and effective drug treatments, there are several public health measures countries can take to help slow the spread of the COVID-19. The team focused on the impact of five such measures, alone and in combination:

• Home isolation of cases – whereby those with symptoms of the disease (cough and/or fever) remain at home for 7 days following the onset of symptoms
  • Home quarantine – whereby all household members of those with symptoms of the disease remain at home for 14 days following the onset of symptoms
  • Social distancing – a broad policy that aims to reduce overall contacts that people make outside the household, school or workplace by three-quarters.
  • Social distancing of those over 70 years – as for social distancing but just for those over 70 years of age who are at highest risk of severe disease
  • Closure of schools and universities

Modelling available data, the team found that depending on the intensity of the interventions, combinations would result in one of two scenarios.

read more:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/covid19-imperial-researchers-model-likely-impact/

15 hours ago, rcbuff said:

The lady  without symptoms that you referred to and wanted to be tested, clearly hadn't considered how selfish her position was. 

Objectively,  IMO, until we can eliminate as many as possible asymptomatic people (by isolation)    , all of the self quarantine we can muster(without requiring everyone be in quarantine) will only delay some portions of the population from contracting the virus. That may provide some additional time to produce tests in mass quantities and regulate the bed space available in hospitals.    Although it would be nice to know if one has the virus or is contagious at the time of testing but that is a very narrow time frame from which to draw conclusions.   

Delaying the catastrophic outbreak of the Covid virus may be about all we can look forward to at this point, at least until some kind of vaccine becomes available.

Like the flu or a common cold, chances are everyone will become exposed to it at one time or another despite their best precautions. The only question seems to be how severely and how many are going to be effected at any one time.

As I understand it now, delaying massive population infections to try to ensure health care services do not become overwhelmed and remain adequate to treat those who do become infected is what we're shooting for.

I would like to know how the modeling studies compare with known references, particularly those of cruise ship infections, as far as infection and death rates among age groups.

This might be a good time for Stampede to ring in, as i recall, he is involved in the medical profession in some manner. 

Here’s the latest National Guard mobilizations by state

Governors across 22 states have mobilized components of the Army and Air National Guard to assist in their state’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Over 1,500 guardsmen have been called up to state active-duty status, with more states expected to activate additional Guard resources as the novel coronavirus continues to spread.

All 50 states have issued emergency declarations, a critical step before mobilizing National Guard resources.

Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Montana, New Jersey, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin have all activated Guard components.

Puerto Rico is the first and only U.S. territory to also activate guardsmen thus far.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/coronavirus/2020/03/18/heres-the-latest-national-guard-mobilizations-by-state/

The math may be wrong for the statistics.

** Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus’s calculations of a 3.4% mortality rate is off by nearly 3.0%! 

Ghebreyesus compared apples to oranges and his numbers were completely inaccurate!

As of Wednesday morning.

There were 7,301 confirmed cases in the US.

There were 116 confirmed deaths associated with the coronavirus in the US.

The mortality rate for those two sets of numbers is 1.6%.

We also know that according to a new study by the journal Science — 6 of 7 coronavirus victims, or 86% of infections, were undocumented.

If latest study published in the Science journal is correct then the coronavirus scare will be the greatest hoax in world history causing trillions and trillions of dollars in economic damage.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/03/hello-world-before-economy-totally-disintegrates-will-anyone-else-notice-who-director-made-basic-math-error-in-causing-global-coronavirus-panic/

Hey RC! Was that you I saw at Walmart licking the shopping carts?? You go, dude! I heard that Dollar General's carts taste better. Let me know.

Nope,  I was at Home Depot  dawning a one piece  Tyvek suit,  dazzling, steampunk goggles, a classic 3M charcoal respirator with coordinating white pinstriped  hard hat and  contrasting  Harbor Freight  9mil nitriles in black.

I did take note of this in the parking lot day before yesterday, between Dollar Tree and Starbucks, did you lose anything?

173535140_maskace.JPG.142fc7f6ef93c0293fcc233b9d1e76db.JPG